Wrapping up Quarter One

Myka Wenzel

Joshua Weinstein and Maelle Munnings look over notes and do homework. One of the changes Tampa Prep made was moving study hall to the Student Center instead of the library. “You’re at a separate table from everybody else, and it’s more useful to get work done,” said Munnings.

As the first quarter of the school year comes to an end, and many students have grown accustomed to the new scheduling and procedures that the school has implemented due to COVID-19. 

The biggest change that has impacted the life of a Tampa Prep student are the “A” and “B” groups. These groups make it so that half the student population is on campus on their assigned days, but this means that class sizes are much smaller. 

“Honestly, at first I didn’t like it because you definitely get to connect with your teacher a lot more because you’re forced to participate, and personally I learn best that way,” said Aili Kumpu, a senior who has been going to Tampa Prep since 6th grade. 

Some classes can have as few as five people in it, which means every day student’s social interactions are limited to who is in their class. Now that the second quarter is starting, students are going to be taking their 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th periods now. 

“I like the classmates that I have now, but I am looking forward to new ones,” said Maelle Munnings, a sophomore. 

Even though everyone will be getting new classmates, there are some cons to starting new classes midway through the year. Many students have a favorite subject that they won’t see until January. 

“I’m probably going to miss my elective, electric guitar, I won’t have that next quarter, so I’ll miss it,” said Joshua Weisntein, a junior.

Students who have electives this year are going to have more academic classes next quarter. Transitioning from a “light” course load to a more rigorous academic schedule can be challenging.

“I think the adjustment is going to be pretty difficult, but I know I’ll adjust and be fine,” said Satarie Bennett, a junior.

Along with a new course load, many students will be meeting their teachers in person for the first time. This also applies to advisors and advisees who many people don’t meet due to the one-on-one talks. 

“I feel like we haven’t been able to connect with advising people, and meeting new people and teachers midway through the year will be different,” said Kumpu.

Despite all of these challenges, Tampa Preparatory school has done its best given the circumstances. 

“I think they’ve handled it well. I think that it’s all about the balance, and that’s what they’ve done,” said Weistein.