Clubs Return to In-Person Meetings

Clubs Return to In-Person Meetings

Like most years at Tampa Prep, the start of the school year brings the start of new clubs.  Last year was a difficult year for clubs due to COVID-19; however, now that all the students are back on campus, there are a variety of new clubs to choose from. 

Most clubs last year had trouble finding times and places to meet due to Tampa Prep’s COVID-19 policies.

“Choosing to do classes in a block approach wasn’t really what got in the way of clubs last year, it was the rigidity of not letting people move around that got in the way of clubs last year,” said Carl Carlson, the head of the upper school.

With fewer clubs participating last year, Tampa Prep is seeing a huge leap in the number of clubs this year.

“49 clubs is the most I’ve seen in the last few years, we’re normally around 30 something” said Ryan Clements, the dean of students who oversees clubs on campus. 

Clubs are often designed for specific communities. New club leaders often have unique ideas on what topics will get covered during meetings.

“There was a part of the Tampa Prep community that we saw was lacking in a club and community and we figured we’d take the responsibility into our own hands,” said senior Roger Haughey when asked why he and Austin Sigman started the investment club.

Gathering information everyone in the club cares about is a way to build a strong club.

“We could have different kids bring in different issues they feel they want to discuss,” said Mrs. Mona, the faculty sponsor for the feminism club, when asked if she had any thoughts on how the club meetings would go.

After a difficult year last year, club leaders this year are excited to bring clubs back to their full potential. They are hopeful that their clubs will continue to impact the Tampa Prep community for years to come.

“The majority of the people in the club are underclassmen, so I think it will definitely continue,” said Austin Sigman, co-head of investment club.

For any questions about specifics for a club, reach out to the student leaders in charge of the club. Most clubs communicate with email so make sure if you’re interested in a club to be checking your emails.